Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Slaw
For the Hawaiian BBQ Chicken:
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1½ cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- ½ cup honey BBQ sauce
- ⅓ cup coconut aminos
- ¼ cup rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1-2 Tbsp sriracha
- 12 tortillas buy Paleo tortillas or make your own!
For the Pineapple Slaw:
- ½ small purple cabbage sliced thin
- ¼ medium green cabbage sliced thin
- ¼ fresh pineapple cored and diced
- ½ small red onion diced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp sriracha
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- Crushed red pepper to taste (optional)
Spray a crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
Combine the pineapple juice, coconut aminos, BBQ sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, coconut sugar, and sriracha in a large bowl and whisk until well combined.
Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker and cover with the pineapple juice mixture.
Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
Combine all of the slaw ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
When the chicken is fully cooked, shred with 2 forks in the sauce and toss. Let it absorb the sauce for another 30 minutes and then serve with the slaw on the flour tortillas and with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese!
If you would like to prepare this as a freezer meal, compile all the ingredients for the Hawaiian BBQ Chicken in a freezer bag. On the day of, pour the entire thing (thawed) into your Crockpot and cook according to the directions above. Prep the Pineapple Slaw the day of.
Original recipe and photo by Host the Toast.