Having a stocked kitchen is key! It took a lot of time and experimenting with new recipes for me to stock up my kitchen with the essentials, and not have to run to the store every time I found a new dinner I wanted to try. Below is a list of some of the staples you can always find in my kitchen. (And because photos always help me find them in the store, see the gallery below)
- Coconut Milk – I typically have this both in the carton in the fridge, as well as the type in the cans.
- Almond Flour – Costco! This is a very common ingredient for gluten-free recipes.
- Coconut Flour – Another great non-wheat flour! I buy mine from Trader Joe’s.
- Coconut Oil – This one is essential, I use it all the time.
- Avocado Oil – This is great as it has a high smoke point of 520 degrees. I use this for many recipes, as well as making homemade mayo.
- If heated above their smoke point, oils can give off a toxic smoke and destroy the health benefits of the oil. If you’re cooking with high-heat, choose one with a higher smoke point, like avocado oil or grapeseed oil.
- Avocado Oil Mayonnaise – While I don’t use mayo a ton, it’s great to have on hand for those recipes that do call for it. I use Primal Kitchen’s Avocado Oil Mayo from Thrive Market.
- Coconut Sugar – I buy this from Trader Joe’s – you can substitute it 1:1 for normal sugar.
- Honey – Great to keep on hand as a sweetener.
- Maple Syrup – Another great sweetener for baked goods.
- Almond Butter – This healthier option gets used in place of peanut butter in many recipes.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – For those sweet chocolate treats!
- Coconut Aminos – This is a great substitute for soy sauce! No soy, no gluten.
- Tomato Paste & Sauce – Beware of unnecessary added sugars.
Where Do I Buy These?
One of the questions I’m asked most often is where I buy all of this. One of my favorite stores is Trader Joe’s and I can find most of the essentials here at really great prices. In the last year, I’ve also discovered Thrive Market, which offers tons of great options at much better prices than some of the high-end health food stores. I also utilize Amazon Prime – you can find just about anything on there!