So over the past year, I’ve gotten really into freezer meals. No matter how much you like to cook, there will always be those days where you’re just not feeling it. Especially if you’re trying to follow a certain lifestyle or have dietary restrictions, having these back-up meals in the freezer for “emergencies” can be a lifesaver. I actually have an upgright freezer for my garage being delivered tomorrow, and I am WAY too excited about it… Prepare for lots of freezer meal recipes!!
I’ve learned that with freezer meals, it’s important to have some other item or some sort of prep to go with the main meal that you don’t freeze. For example, for the recipe below, you’ll still need to buy fresh lettuce wraps to accompany this. Others may include tortillas or another accompaniment. To me, having this additional item makes sure your freezer meal tastes fresh.
This recipe is SO tasty and so easy! Of course, you don’t need to freeze it – I make this same-day quite often.
Turkey Lettuce Wraps
Ingredients for Prep Day:
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken
- ¾ cups diced onion
- 5 tsp minced garlic Cloves
- ¼ cups coconut aminos can subsitute Tamari or soy-sauce if not Paleo/Whole 30
- ¼ cups chicken broth
- ½ tsp ginger Ground
- ⅛ tsp allspice Ground
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Ingredients for Meal Day:
- ½ cups canned sliced water chestnuts drained
- 1 Roma tomato diced
- jalapenos sliced (optional)
- Romaine or Boston Bibb lettuce for wraps
Ready for this? Put all the "prep day" ingredients in a freezer bag. Freeze it! (If making this for that day, skip Step 1)
On the day you're ready to use these, pull out of the freezer and thaw. Throw it in a skillet with a little oil and cook until the meat is cooked through and the liquid is gone.
When cooked through, stir in water chestnuts.
Spoon onto lettuce wraps and serve!
- Boston Bibb or Romaine Lettuce is great for wraps and has a better nutritional value than iceberg.
- While I know a lot of real chefs would scoff at this, I always keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge. Makes meal prep much easier and faster!